On Saturday, April 28, from 12 - 6pm, Chicago Public Media (WBEZ 91.5 FM) will be presenting the 5th Annual Global Activism Expo as part of the 2011-2012 Off-Air Event Series. Hundreds of Chicago-area activists will gather together at this all-day, free (!!!) event at the UIC Forum (725 W. Roosevelt Road).
Here's what's on the menu of things to-do:
- meet local activists in-person and learn about their organizations. Every organization has been featured on the Worldview series.
- shop an interesting range of fair-trade jewelry and apparel
- take part in on-site demonstrations and activities including: LIFT Foundation (Leading India’s Future Today) hosting a live video chat between Expo attendees and children in India for a transnational game of “Simon Says”; CircEsteem youth members displaying their circus skills and teaching guests how to juggle, spin a plate, and balance a feather; Project FOCUS presenting a community mural for attendees to contribute; and El Fuego del Sol with a solar Sun Oven display.
- enjoy great food and music!
Before you set out for the event, look around your home and gather some donations if you can:
- Aid Africa's Children is requesting toothbrushes (kids and adults) and small samples of toothpaste;
- Fr John Kolkman Sickle Cell Foundation is collecting blood pressure cuffs/monitors and stethoscopes for their work in Cameroon;
- Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach is collecting items to be assembled into a standard hygiene kit such as hand towels, wash cloths, fingernail clippers, bath bar soap, tooth brush, toothpaste, Band-Aids, combs, and one-gallon Ziploc bags;
- Matanya’s Hope is collecting gently used book bags and school shoes, soccer balls, air pumps, and fleece blankets for children in Kenya;
- Solidarity Bridge is collecting crayons, children's books (Spanish preferred), Band-Aids, or any household medical supplies for distribution in Bolivia;
- Working Bikes Cooperative is collecting bicycles and wheelchairs. Working Bikes will also have an on-site demonstration of “bike machines” showing how bicycles are being used for UV water sterilization, water pumping, or charging phones and laptops in communities around the world.
For more info on the Global Activism Expo, visit: http://www.wbez.org/event/2012-04-28/global-activism-expo-2012